Prevention is better than cure. To help keep your family healthy this winter try using essential oils. Many essential oils are antiseptic and bactericides. Some oils are anti-fungal and there are even oils which have been proven to kill nasty viruses. Antiseptics prevent the growth of pathogenic microorganisms. Clove and thyme have been documented to kill over 50 types of bacteria and 10 types of fungi. Other potent antiseptics include: cinnamon, tea tree, oregano, manuka, lemon, rosemary and eucalyptus.
You can use the oils in a diffuser in your home to maintain a clean and healthy environment. For young children add a few drops to a carrier oil and apply to the soles of their feet, adults can tolerate most oils being used on the skin, but it is generally best to use a carrier oil. You can apply oils to the chest and back or anywhere really. By regularly using antiseptic oils, you will support your immune system’s battle to keep nasty bugs at bay.
If prevention hasn’t worked and you or someone in your family comes down with a cold or flu, try some of these essential oils to help treat the symptom and the cause of illness:
COLD and FLU:
• On Guard (antiseptic blend)
• Tea Tree
• Easy Air (respiratory blend)
• Tea tree
ACHES AND PAINS:
• Ice Blue (blend to ease sore muscles)
* Apply oils to aching areas
How to use the oils:
• Inhale: breathe in the steam from a bowl of boiling water, with towel over your head: 3-5 times daily. Or simple open the bottle and breathe.
• Topical use: dilute in a carrier oil and massage onto forehead, nose, cheeks, lower throat, chest and upper back: 1 -3 times daily
• Diffuse: put a blend of these oils in a diffuser; have it going throughout the day.
• Bath: add oils to the water.
SAFETY WARNING: use only premium therapeutic quality oils on the body! Some oils, like oregano, can become very hot when applied to skin, so use caution; particularly with children or around sensitive areas of the body. To alleviate hot/burning sensations apply a carrier oil, like olive or almond oil, to dilute – do not wash with water. Always consult a professional for the best advice and safety information.
Learn more at ESSENTIALS ON USING ESSENTIAL OILS WORKSHOP